Monday, December 30, 2013


If you were curious about where I discovered my passion for reading, I can tell you. I was six, sitting criss cross apple sauce in my rug spot of Ms. Caroline’s first grade classroom. That, I remember fondly. No one wanted to play with the quirky gal with massive bed head, but that was fine. While the other kids were off with building blocks and cooking with plastic utensils, I had a corner on a rug with some dear friends: Eric Carle, Laura Numeroff, Kevin Hankes, E.B. White and, my personal favorite, Kate DiCamillo.

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane was not just a way to pass time or an excuse to advance my education, but was a tale that sparked my love for reading and writing, and enhanced my imagination. I never thought that a children’s book had the capability of changing my outlook on life, oh was I wrong. Once I was hooked on her writing I demanded my parents find me every book she ever wrote, and I then grew infatuated with  The Tale of Despereaux and Because of Winn-Dixie which I read a bunch more times. It didn’t just widen my imagination, but it distracted my mom from reality and opened her mind once again.This book supplied empathy, love, adventure, selflessness, determination, family, and a variety of experience that I regained each time I read it. Now that I look back on it, I wonder if I would be willing to complete the high ropes course or dance in public or even speak up if I hadn’t been so inspired and comforted by a rabbit trying something new and terrifying, yet amazing. Who would have thought that a once privileged rabbit could show me how the small moments and seemingly mundane experiences completely out of your comfort zone are the ones that mold you and teach you the most valuable lessons of life. I thank Edward Tulane for that. 





6 comments:

  1. Very nice.. I like the way you incorporated bigger words throughout the reflection yet you kept it informal. I like it a lot :) .. However i have to ask and suggest something. In the segment; "This book supplied empathy, love, adventure, selflessness, determination, family, and a variety of experience that I regained each time I read it."


    - How did the book supply empathy and what kind of experience? Also "a variety of experience" sounds a little funky. Other than that ! Good job ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading this piece. Your link between the expeditiousness of the rabbit in the "Miraculous Journey" and your own lack thereof was very clever. I think the very sharing of your childhood loneliness is a testament to how much those books meant to you. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it Sam!! I like that you included how the book didn't just affect you, but also those around you. My question: Did the surprise that a children's book changed your life ever make you want to write a children's book yourself? Also, did you suggest Because of Winn-Dixie to your mom or did she decide to read it because of the impact the author had on you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Essence, thank you! I can honestly say that it has crossed my mind. I want to create a book that can inspire someone like The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane" did for me. To answer your other question, once I found out that Kate DiCamillo had written more books, I sent my mother to the book store and she had to special order them because I loved her writing and she inspired me so greatly. To this day, I have her books on my bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alejandro, I agree that I phrased that sentence awkwardly, so I rewrote it as "This book taught me to empathize with others, be mature, selfless and appreciative in life. I was also taught me about the simplicity of life, Edward’s presence put a smile on the faces of those he encountered on his journey. The bond shared between his original owner, Abilene and Edward is unbreakable and he has to put himself out on the limb, encounter new experiences and mature to find his way back home." Thanks for the suggestion, it was helpful in clarifying my point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was wonderful Sam. I loved reading it. I empathize with your story of isolation and and I can see after reading this entry how much these books meant to you.

    ReplyDelete